SOLD OUT: Curator Walking Tour- Radicals of the Lower East Side
This event has passed.
Please note that this event is now sold out. If you would like to join the waitlist, please email email@example.com with your name, number of tickets you would like, and phone number.
The area of Manhattan known as the Lower East Side was one of the original geopolitical centers of working class politics and culture. Often considered home of the unwashed, unruly, and un-American, waves of immigrants who lived in the Lower East Side mobilized for labor rights and decent housing, forged vibrant cultural lives, and pursued visions of socialism, anarchism, and other forms of radicalism. This walking tour will examine some of those diverse histories—from anarchist Emma Goldman to punk anarchist destination ABC No Rio—and how they continue to impact the neighborhood today. Led by MCNY Curator and Lower East Side resident Sarah Seidman.
About the Guide:
Dr. Sarah Seidman is the Puffin Foundation Curator of Social Activism at the Museum of the City of New York. She curates the ongoing exhibition Activist New York, which explores nearly 400 years of activist histories in New York City. She has also curated the exhibitions Beyond Suffrage: A Century of New York Women in Politics, and co-curated PRIDE: Photographs of Stonewall and Beyond by Fred W. McDarrah and King in New York. Dr. Seidman holds a Ph.D. in American Studies from Brown University. Her writing has appeared in Radical History Review, the Journal of Transnational American Studies, and The Sixties: A Journal of History, Politics and Culture, among other places.
To view more Curator Walking Tours, click here.
IMPORTANT LOGISTICAL INFORMATION:
- Before registering for this event, please read the below Safety Protocol.
- You must also sign a tour waiver before attending the tour, which will be sent to you via email in advance.
- We cannot accommodate any walk-ups for the tour, so please be sure to register in advance.
- In case of rain, the tour will not be rescheduled, and we will refund your ticket. Please check the email you registered with for the tour for important updates.
- The tour will meet at The Forward Building, 175 East Broadway, NY 10002. The tour will be 75 - 90 minutes. Participants should be prepared to walk or stand for the entire time.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
We look forward to having you join us for our Curator-led Walking Tours this spring and summer! Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our safety protocols before attending the activity. The Museum’s COVID guidelines apply to all visitors, regardless of vaccination status, and are in accordance with the CDC and NYDOH guidelines:
- Our Walking Tours are capped at a maximum of 15 people.
- Make sure to register in advance for your tickets. Check-in will be contactless. Please check your email leading up to the date of the event, as we will be sending important information and details prior.
- Stay home if you are feeling sick or symptomatic. If you have been in contact with someone with related symptoms or who has tested positive within the last 14 days also stay home, we can refund you for your tickets.
- CDC-recommended face coverings are required for all visitors and staff at all times. Face masks should completely cover your nose and mouth.
- Social distancing is required at all times. Visitors and staff must keep at least 6 feet from others on outdoor walking tours, visitors who are a household should maintain social distance from other visitors and staff.
- If possible, we suggest bringing water, hand sanitizer, tissues, and a spare mask with you. Be prepared to stand or walk for approximately 75 - 90 minutes and be outside without access to climate-controlled spaces for most of your visit.
- We are required to keep the contact information of all attendees at least 30 days after the tour for contact tracing purposes.
- An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public space where people are present. Those visiting the Museum of the City of New York or joining related programs and events hosted by MCNY do so at their own risk to such exposure.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out at email@example.com.