Past Event: Keys to the City: The Ultimate New York City Scavenger Hunt
50 Clues, 2 Boroughs, 1 Grand Prize. How Well Do You Know New York?
It takes grit and determination to make it in New York. Do you and your friends have what it takes to hold the Keys to the City? Show us what you’ve got in this ultimate New York City scavenger hunt -- while helping us raise vital funds for the Museum of the City of New York! Afterwards, join us for a toast at our after party where prizes will be awarded from exclusive Museum tours to tickets to Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and New York City Center.
Make A Difference:
Scavenger hunt registration fees and team fundraising efforts will directly support the Museum's mission of fostering understanding of the distinctive nature of urban life in the world’s most influential metropolis. All donations from fundraising are fully tax-deductible.
Learn more about the Museum
How It Works:
- Teams of at most 10 and at least 2 players start from a location of their choosing to decipher clues to identify sites in the Lower East Side, Two Bridges, the Financial District, Brooklyn Heights, and DUMBO. Any individual registrants without a team will be assigned to one
- Children 10 and up are permitted to participate but please note that there are some adult themes in the clues and that they must register at the $50 general admission rate
- Clues are worth different point values depending on difficulty and distance. Teams do not have to visit every site; rather, the objective is to earn as many points as possible in the allotted time
- Teams must photograph all of their members at the clue sites and post their pictures to a team-designated Instagram account to earn points
- Afterwards, participants will meet at the Museum for an after party where winners will be announced and prizes awarded
- Teams must pick up their official lanyards on the morning of the hunt – At least one person from each team needs to stop by Pier 16 between John and Fulton Streets for the hunt lanyards. The rest of the team can start at Pier 16 or any location of their choosing
- Please have your Instagram handle ready in advance – View instructions on how to create an Instagram account here
- In case of rain – The scavenger hunt will be rescheduled to Saturday, May 11 from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Please note that no refunds will be offered if the event is moved to the rain date
- Scavenger Hunt Grand Prize - A private gallery tour and reception for the team with the most points as well as Family Museum Memberships for each team member (valued at $150)
- Scavenger Hunt Second Prize - Family Museum Memberships for each team member (valued at $150)
- Participant with the highest total donations – Four tickets to New York City Center’s Encores! performance of High Button Shoes on Saturday, May 11 at 8:00 pm
- Team with the highest total donations – $150 gift card to Dig Inn
- Participant with the most donors – Four tickets to Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
Scavenger Hunt Timeline:
The Museum is located at 1220 Fifth Avenue, show your lanyard for free admission!
- Beginning at 9:30 am - Pick up lanyards at Pier 16 between John and Fulton Streets
- 10:00 am - Hunt begins
- 2:00 pm - Hunt concludes
- 3:00 pm - After party begins at the Museum
- 3:45 pm (approx) - Winners announced
- 5:00 pm - After party concludes
- 6:00 pm - Museum closes
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.
This event has a strict no refunds policy. All donations from fundraising are fully tax-deductible.
$53 per person
Includes Museum admission