Keys to the City Scavenger Hunt: On Location in New York
Calling all New York City film buffs! Explore one of the world’s most cinematic cities, discover legendary landmarks, and feel the movie magic as you and your team solve clues in our daylong scavenger hunt.
In honor of the Museum’s 100th birthday, teams will solve clues in connection with the Museum's centennial exhibition, This Is New York: 100 Years of the City in Art and Pop Culture. Manhattan has served as a backdrop for countless movies, from West Side Story to Rosemary’s Baby to The Royal Tenenbaums to The Wolf of Wall Street. In one adventurous day, you’ll experience New York City stories as told by directors, screenwriters, and cinematographers.
It takes grit and determination to make it in both the film industry and New York City. Do you and your team have what it takes to hold the Keys to the City?
View the entire weekend of events at MCNY 100: Centennial Celebration Weekend.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2023
- 10:00 am | Registration & Clue Packet Pick-up at Museum of the City of New York
- 10:00 am to 2:00 pm | Scavenger Hunt through midtown and uptown Manhattan between 34th and 125th Street
- 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm | Closing Party & Award Ceremony back at the Museum of the City of New York
HOW THE HUNT WORKS:
- Teams of at most 10 and at least 2 players start from a location of their choosing to decipher clues to identify sites in midtown and uptown Manhattan between 34th and 125th Street.
- If you don't have a team but are interested in participating, we are happy to have you. Just join team MacGuffin upon sign-up.
- Team members must register individually, please note that registration closes at 11:59pm on Thursday, October 12.
- Children are permitted to participate, but please note that there are some adult themes in the clues.
- Teams are welcomed to plan their routes to track down clues using various modes of transportation—from cabs, to buses, to Citi bikes.
- Clues are worth different point values depending on difficulty and distance. Teams do not have to visit every site; rather, the objective is to earn as many points as possible in the allotted time.
- Teams must photograph all of their members at the clue sites and post their pictures to a team-designated Instagram account to earn points.
- Please have your Instagram handle ready in advance – View instructions on how to create an Instagram account here.
- In case of rain – The scavenger hunt will be rescheduled to Sunday, October 15 from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Please note that no refunds will be offered if the event is moved to the rain date.
- Individual Tickets:
- Adults (18 and over): $60
- Youth (7-17): $30
- Children 6 & Under: Free
- Ticket Package:
- Family (for 2 adults and up to 3 youths): $165 per family
Registration closes at 11:59 pm on October 12.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE:
Once you create a team, use your platform to raise funds in support of the Museum! Become a champion of the city we call home and help the Museum to continue telling our collective New York story for another 100 years by sharing your fundraising page with friends and family. The highest fundraiser will win a prize for reaching their goal.
Support of Keys to the City helps the Museum continue to connect our community through various programs that explore the qualities that define New York and keep New York City’s culture alive through local events like Uptown Bounce, Museum Mile, and Keys to the City.
- 1st Place
- Key to the City
- A private wine reception at the Museum for up to 25 people with a curator lead tour of an exhibition of your choice
- (4) tickets to The Edge
- (4) tickets to On Location Tour's Gossip Girl tour featuring MCNY
- 2nd Place
- (4) tickets to The FRIENDS™ Experience
- (4) tickets to The Paley Center for Media
- 3rd Place
- (4) tickets to iPic
- $25 gift card and merchandise from Coyote Ugly Saloon
- Highest Fundraiser
- (4) tickets to The Museum of Broadway
- (4) tickets to SPYSCAPE
- Most Donations
- (2) tickets to a New York Red Bulls game
Click on the logo to learn more about that prize sponsor.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All ticket sales are final; refunds not permitted. Exchanges and credit for future programs will be considered on a case-by-case basis. All donations from fundraising are non-refundable and fully tax-deductible.