SOLD OUT: Curator Walking Tour – Chelsea and Beyond: Meat Market to Moynihan
Please note that this event is now sold out. If you would like to join the waitlist, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, number of tickets you would like, and phone number.
Join MCNY’s chief curator Sarah Henry, Greenwich Village native and current Chelsea resident, on an exploration of the neighborhood and its environs. Beginning in the Far West Village and snaking through Chelsea, we’ll explore the changing landscape of urbanism in the area, from its origins as rural estate through the laying of the street grid, the creation of a 19th century residential neighborhood, the growth of the industrial waterfront, and the ups and downs of 20th century “urban renewal.” We’ll end with an exploration of the 21st century’s ongoing and upcoming changes for the Garment District and Penn Station, including New York’s newest transit space, Moynihan Station.
About the Guide:
Dr. Sarah M. Henry is Deputy Director and Chief Curator of the Museum of the City of New York, where she has served since 2001. There, she oversees all Museum programs, including exhibitions (over 100 to date), public programs, and publications. She is also responsible for the exhibition department’s program strategy, long-range planning, and budgeting. Dr. Henry received a Ph.D. in American History with honors from Columbia University and a B.A. summa cum laude from Yale in History and Mathematics/Philosophy. She is the recipient of the Manhattan Borough President’s “History Visionary Award” and is a member of the New York Academy of History.
To view more Curator Walking Tours, click here.
IMPORTANT LOGISTICAL INFORMATION:
- Before registering for this event, please read the below Safety Protocol.
- You must also sign a tour waiver before attending the tour, which will be sent to you via email in advance.
- We cannot accommodate any walk-ups for the tour, so please be sure to register in advance.
- The tour will be conducted through a walking tour app. We will be sending more information via email in advance of the event. You can download it in advance or on the day of the program onto your phone. You must have an iPhone or Android phone in order to participate.
- In case of rain, the tour will not be rescheduled, and we will refund your ticket. Please check the email you registered with for the tour for important updates.
- The tour will meet at Gansevoort Plaza and will last for approximately 75 - 90 minutes with a journey of 2.5 miles. Participants should be prepared to walk or stand for the entire time.
- Please email email@example.com with any questions.