Folk City: New York and the Folk Music Revival. June 17 – January 10, 2016
In the 1950s and 1960s, folk music blossomed in New York City, especially in Greenwich Village, where clubs and coffee houses showcased singers like Pete Seeger and Odetta and nurtured a generation of newcomers, including Bob Dylan, Judy Collins, Dave Van Ronk, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, and Peter, Paul and Mary. The multi-media exhibtition Folk City: New York and the Folk Music Revival, featuring original instruments, handwritten lyrics, and video and film footage, traces the roots of the revival, its growth in New York, its major players, and its impact on American politics and culture during the tumultuous 1960s.
Read the press release.
Join the conversation. #FolkCity
Eric Andersen in Concert at the City Museum With Special Guests The Chapin Sisters
Date and Time: Friday, November 6 at 7:00 pm
Eric Andersen, the finest singer/songwriter of romantic songs to come out of the Greenwich Village folk scene of the 1960s, will be accompanied by Michele Gazich on violin and viola and by Inge Andersen on harmonies.
Rambling Around Woody Guthrie’s New York
Date and Time: Thursday, November 19 at 6:30 pm
Join us for an intimate virtual tour of the various NYC locations where Guthrie lived and wrote some of his most well-loved songs. Guthrie’s daughter, Nora, will share archival photographs, historic audio, and rare film footage in a multi-media presentation.
- "The folk rebellion that preserved free speech in Washington Square Park" amNewYork
- "The Young Sound of Old America" The Wall Street Journal
- "'Folk City': Reviving the Folk Revival, One Banjo String at a Time" Brooklyn Based
"'Don't Your People Got None of Your Own Music?' Confessions of a Jewish Teenage Folkie" Tablet Magazine
- "Review: 'Folk City' at the Museum of the City of New York" The New York Times
- "Folk City: New York and the American Folk Music Revival" The New York Times Sunday Book Review
- "New Exhibit Explores History of American Folk Music" NY1
- "New York folk, from Gaslight Café to Village Gate" Maclean's Magazine
- "Folk Music Celebrated at Museum of the City of New York" WABC-TV NY
- "NYC Exhibition Explores Folk Music Revival" WFUV
- "Travel back to the NYC of Bob Dylan and company at 'Folk City'" New York Post
Sing-along Gallery Tours
Join us Sundays, August 30, September 13 & 27, October 11 & 25, November 8 & 22, and December 6 & 20 at 1:00 pm for a 45-minute gallery tour followed by a singalong session with one of our museum scholars. First come, first serve – no registration required.
Learn more about incorporating this exhibition into school and camp field trips.
Interested in booking a group tour? Click here to learn about opportunities to join Museum scholars and curators for a closer look.