Past Event: Uptown Bounce: Rhythm & Power
Due to rain, tonight's Uptown Bounce will take place inside the Museum.
Pre-registration for this program has closed but you can register at the Museum when you arrive, see you tonight!
Free! Join the Museum of the City of New York and El Museo del Barrio for our free summer block party series celebrating East Harlem at the top of Museum Mile.
At the Museum of the City of New York: Rhythm & Power
1220 Fifth Ave @ 104th Street
Discover how New York's own music and dance has mixed and melded with Caribbean rhythms to create a sizzling combination unique to the city at the Museum of the City of New York.
- Explore the powerful cultural fusion that is New York as DJ Joey Carvello of Mobile Mondays! and DJ Woof spin a fiery mash-up of Latin disco, hustle, and salsa.
- Join all-level dance lessons from legendary salsa instructor Franck Muhel.
- Mujeres en Movimiento, a group of Spanish-speaking mothers and neighborhood activists from Corona, Queens featured in our Art in the Open: Fifty Years of Public Art in New York exhibition, will provide information on critical immigration-related programs and resources offered by the City.
- Design and build your own instruments out of household objects.
- Check out our exhibitions after hours with a curator-led tour of Art in the Open and an educator-led tour on nightlife in New York in World City: 1898-2012.
- Summer drinks and snacks will be available for purchase from Amy's Bread.
At El Museo del Barrio: Uptown x Sociedad Records
1230 Fifth Ave @ 104th Street
El Museo kicks off Uptown Bounce with Sociedad Records! The collective will present an immersive exhibition titled, “SOCIEDAD presents: Welcome to Nueva York: The Past, The Present, The Future,” which highlights Latinx influences and experiences in New York City.
About Uptown Bounce:
Join the Museum of the City of New York and El Museo Del Barrio for our annual Uptown Bounce series of free summer block parties. On four consecutive Wednesday evenings, dance to New York DJs, enjoy gallery talks, tours, art workshops, and savor summer drinks and local food. To view all of the events in the series, click here.
This event is free and open to the public.
Includes Museum admission.